This festive season, Fighting Words and Graffiti Theatre Company are inviting young writers between the ages of 6 and 12 years to write your own Christmas story! Spreading holiday cheer is more important than ever this year, so fire up your imagination and create a new classic tale.
Create a Christmas Story with Some Help from Our Friends!
To help you get started, we have asked some of our friends to craft story prompts to help you get started.
There are twelve stories in all – click on the links to hear stories by authors and performers from all over the island of Ireland in English and in Irish!
Share Your Stories With Us on Social Media!
Fighting Words and Graffiti Theatre Company are sharing these story prompts as a fun way to create new stories with your family, friends and classmates.
If you would like to share your stories with us too, you can do that in two ways –
- A comment on our social media posts: ask your parent or guardian to share your story as a comment on the social media posts from Fighting Words and Graffiti for the story prompt. You will find them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- A post on your parent/guardian’s social media accounts: ask your parent or guardian to upload your story to their social media accounts using the hashtag #12StoriesofChristmasIreland. Be sure to tag Fighting Words and Graffiti Theatre Company so we can see and share your work!
Consent – Attention Parents/Guardians
By submitting a story for your child using your social media account OR as a comment on the social media accounts of the project partners, parents/guardians confirm that they are the parent/guardian for the authors who submit stories to “The 12 Stories of Christmas.”
Fighting Words, Graffiti Theatre Company and the project partners reserves the right not to publish and delete content that contravenes the Fighting Words Equal Opportunities and/or Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy. Both policies are found on https://www.fightingwords.ie/.
Celebrate Your Creativity!
We hope that young writers all over Ireland – and beyond – will be inspired to create new Christmas stories at school or at home.
You can use the templates here to help you to write all the stories in your imagination!
- 12 Stories of Christmas Guidelines
- 12 Stories of Christmas Story Template
- 12 Stories of Christmas Illustration Template
- 12 Stories of Christmas Comic Template
12 Stories of Christmas Storybook
We have also collected all the stories in a book you can download and print here.
Terms & Conditions
if you would like to share your story as a comment on Fighting Words and Graffiti social media, there are just a few things to remember…
- Share your stories between Wednesday, 25 November at 5pm and Friday, 18 December at 5pm
- Please include the author’s first name, age and the county in Ireland/Northern Ireland where you live
- Maximum word count: 200 words
- Stories may be in English or in Irish
- Authors must be between the ages of 6 and 12 years
- Please note that Fighting Words and Graffiti Theatre Company are not in a position to provide feedback to individual authors.
- This is a celebration of fun, creativity and the Christmas period, not a competition – the stories will not be judged.
- Please ensure that all stories shared with Fighting Words and Graffiti Theatre Company feature content that is appropriate for children.
- All information detailing how to take part in this initiative forms part of these Terms and Conditions. It is a condition of participating that all rules are accepted as final and that the parent/guardian of the entrant agrees to abide by these rules.
- The promoters of this programme are Graffiti Theatre Company, Assumption Road, Blackpool, Cork, T23 FDT4 and Fighting Words, Behan Square, 12-16 Russell Street, Dublin 1 D01 WD53.
- Graffiti Theatre Company and Fighting Words accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by entrants submitting creative work.
- Graffiti Theatre Company and Fighting Words or its partners shall not be liable to comply with its obligations relating to this initiative where the failure is caused by something outside of its reasonable control.
- The 12 Stories of Christmas Terms and Conditions will be governed by Irish law and entrants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Irish Courts.
Want to help?
If you liked the 12 Stories of Christmas and want to help us to reach more children with creative encounters that spark imaginations and build confidence, please donate to Graffiti – click here.
Every contribution you make enables us to build more opportunities for children and young people to realise their creative potential