CALLOUT: Young playwrights programme presented by GRAFFITI, The Everyman and Fighting Words
FÓGRA: Clár na nDrámadóirí Óga á chur i láthair ag Graffiti, The Everyman agus Fighting Words
- Are you a young person aged 15-22 who is passionate about writing?
- Would you like to see your writing performed on The Everyman stage by professional actors?
- Do you have a pal who needs a little encouragement to take the next step with their writing?
Graffiti, The Everyman and Fighting Words are excited to collaborate with acclaimed playwrights Katie Holly and John McCarthy to host a 5-month playwriting programme for young people aged 15 to 22 years who are interested in developing their writing skills for performance.
Beginning with a blank page, the selected young writers will respond to writing prompts and exercises to develop their voice as they explore writing for performance, what makes a play, and what play they wish to make.
Individual voices shall be encouraged, mentored and supported over a series of workshops in Cork to create short plays which will be performed by professional actors, in a series of rehearsed readings on the Everyman stage in August 2023.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
This opportunity is open to young people aged 15 to 22 based in Munster, who are passionate about finding their voice as a writer and seeing their work performed.
We encourage applicants who identify as neurodiverse and/or disabled, those from minority ethnic communities and/or those who feel their voices are under-represented.
We welcome Irish language writers to participate in this project through the medium of Irish. We will provide support and translation to facilitate a bilingual writing journey. Samples of writing in Irish can be included in the application.
Cuirimid fáilte roimh scríbhneoirí le Gaeilge páirt a ghlacadh sa togra seo as Gaeilge. Cuirfear tacaíocht agus aistriúcháin ar fáil chun an turas scríbhneoireachta dátheangach le John, agus Katie a éascú. Is féidir samplaí Gaeilge a bheith mar chuid den iarratas. Eolas as Gaeilge ag an nasc seo: https://www.graffiti.ie/news/
DO I NEED PREVIOUS WRITING EXPERIENCE TO APPLY?
No previous play writing experience is necessary but enthusiasm and a passion for writing for performance is key. You may never have written for actors before, you may be a spoken word or song writer, as long as you’re keen to learn, experience of theatre isn’t essential! The eight selected artists that complete the programme will be equipped with the tools to write engaging, innovative and ambitious stories for performance.
WHEN WILL THE COURSE TAKE PLACE?
The programme will take place from 12.30pm to 3.30pm, in person workshops at Graffiti in Cork, between April and July 2023 with additional online mentorship and feedback throughout the programme. This will culminate in a showcase event at The Everyman in August 2023.
Successful applicants will be required to attend all workshops and to dedicate time to reflecting, reading and writing between the monthly workshops, as well as rehearsals in the week prior to the showcase event.
Workshop dates are as follows and subject to change with advance notice:
Session 1 – Sat 22nd April
Session 2 – Sat 6th May
Session 3 – Sat 20th May
Session 4 – Sat 3rd June
Session 5 – Sat 24th June
Session 6 – Sat 15th July
Session 7 – Sat 29th July
Session 8 – TBC
Rehearsals / Performances 16th – 20th August (time available TBC)
Workshop Times: Sat 12:30 to 3:30
Participants will also be invited to attend a range of theatre productions at The Everyman over the course of the programme.
HOW MUCH DOES THE PROGRAMME COST?
The workshop programme is free of charge to participants thanks to funding from the Arts Council via Graffiti and the Everyman, and from Fighting Words.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Deadline for Applications: 23rd March @ 9pm
To apply you must be:
- Between 15 and 22 years of age
- NOT studying drama, theatre studies or creative writing at third level
- Based in Munster and able to travel to Cork for workshops (there will be online feedback sessions and some travel subsidy is available on request)
- Available to attend ALL workshops on the dates above
- Able to dedicate time to reflect, read and write between monthly meetings
Please send to email@example.com with ‘Young Playwrights programme application’ in the subject line:
- Your Name, Age and contact details including email address and mobile number
- a short letter (1 page max) or video (2 mins max) to introduce yourself, outlining why you would like a place on this programme. We welcome submissions in English or in Irish.
- a sample of your creative writing (for example a scene from a play; an extract from a story, poetry, spoken word or song) this can be up to 500 words. We welcome submissions in English or in Irish.
- Confirmation that you will be able to attend the workshops on the dates above, and have the capability to attend online feedback sessions via Zoom, if required
- Let us know if you have any specific access requirements in order to take part in the programme
Please note, we will not be in a position to provide in-depth feedback on individual applications.